A Unique Anti-Inflammatory Drug
The NSAID lornoxicam has been commercially available for many years. It combines the high anti-inflammatory potency of the oxicams with an improved gastrointestinal side effect profile. Lornoxicam is orally active at doses of a few milligrams, penetrates into the brain, inhibits both cyclooxygenase isoforms strongly but in a balanced fashion -- and it effectively inhibits the formation of interleukin-6, along with other pro-inflammatory mediators. Its effects on pain processing in the brain - which is tied to brain immunology - are clearly visible in functional medical imaging. All taken together, lornoxicam is a powerful modulator of the immune system.
Here are a few examples of peer-reviewed papers that underscore the evidence in laboratory assays, animal experiments, and in clinical use:
- Berg J, et al. The analgesic NSAID lornoxicam inhibits cyclooxygenase (COX)-1/-2, inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), and the formation of interleukin (IL)-6 in vitro. Inflamm Res. 1999; 48(7):369-79 (Abstract) Conclusion: Of the panel of NSAIDs tested, lornoxicam was found to be the most potent balanced inhibitor of human COX-1/-2. The equipotent COX-isoenzyme inhibition by lornoxicam is complemented by a marked inhibition of IL-6 production and of iNOS-derived NO formation.
- Buritova J, Besson JM. Potent anti-inflammatory/analgesic effects of lornoxicam in comparison to other NSAIDs: a c-fos study in the rat. Inflammopharmacology 1997; 5(4):331-41 (Abstract) Conclusion: Clear evidence for a potent anti-inflammatory/analgesic effects of low doses of lornoxicam which have a reduced risk of side effects.
- Lomakin NV, Gruzdev AK. Effect of lornoxicam on inflammatory markers in patients with non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndrome. Ter Arkh. 2010; 82(12):28-32 (Abstract) Conclusion: Lornoxicam reduces the risk of poor cardiovascular outcomes and the levels of inflammatory markers.
- Jiao H, Ren F. Pretreatment with lornoxicam, a cyclooxygenase inhibitor, relieves postoperative immuno-suppression after total abdominal hysterectomy. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2009 Dec;219(4):289-94 (Abstract) Conclusion: Lornoxicam may help to maintain the stability of immune function of hysterectomy patients
- Lorenz IH, et al. Lornoxicam characteristically modulates cerebral pain-processing in human volunteers: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study. Br J Anaesth. 2008; 100(6):827-33 (Abstract)